Oxfam: Urgent international action needed to boost UN Humanitarian Fund
International aid agency Oxfam today called on the international community to commit to strengthening the UN Central Emergency Response Fund’s (CERF) potential for providing quick, life-saving humanitarian assistance for millions of people around the world.
- Some extra aid for “forgotten emergencies”, such as Somalia and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Implementing life-saving aid work more quickly in a few cases, e.g. assistance for internally displaced people in Timor-Leste as well as water and health projects in drought-affected parts of Kenya.
- The emergency fund and the UN agencies must release funds more quickly.
- The UN should work more closely with agencies which operate in affected countries.
- There must be better assessment and analysis of programs the emergency fund has supported.
- Once administrative fine-tuning completed, the emergency fund’s budget should be increased to $1bn, with the money not coming from existing humanitarian budgets.