Senior Policy Adviser, International Financial Institutions
Although with us for just six months, the impact you make in this high-profile role could last a lifetime. You will develop, lead and implement advocacy strategies which influence the policies and strategies of the IMF and World Bank, particularly around issues to do with the global economic crisis and development finance. The lobbying you undertake, relationships you forge and intelligence you gather will all be crucial in making certain these policies constitute a positive, pro-poor response.
With the need to maintain a high level of expertise in key policy areas, you must have in-depth knowledge of development finance and international finance institutions, particularly the IMF’s agenda and ways of working. A strategic yet creative thinker, you also have experience of influencing major policy, not least through your exceptional skills as an engaging and persuasive communicator.
Location: Washington, DC, United States of America
Salary: $63,369 pa pro rata
Type of Contract: 6 months maternity cover
To develop and implement advocacy strategies to influence the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank. This job will lead Oxfam International policy development and advocacy around the World Bank and IMF and their governance, funding, research and lending practices to ensure they are pro-poor.
• Develop, lead and implement advocacy strategies designed to influence the policies and practices of the World Bank and IMF to ensure they are pro-poor.
• Maintain a high level of expertise in key policy areas and develop Oxfam International policy and research on the international financial institutions (IFIs) in support of the above strategy
• Lobby Executive Directors, management and staff of the World Bank and IMF; collect intelligence; develop and maintain key relationships within the institutions.
• Play a key role in Oxfam’s Essential Services and Economic Justice campaign teams.
• Play a key role in Oxfam’s Global Economic Crisis strategy team, and support other initiatives related to Oxfam’s work on finance for development. This will include lobbying and strategy development.
• Develop policy on aid- and development-effectiveness.
• Facilitate high level of collaboration between member Oxfams; support and at times lead multi-disciplinary teams made up of colleagues from member Oxfams and collaborating organisations.
• Represent Oxfam at meetings and conferences, give media interviews and speak publicly.
• Actively participate in NGO networks and advocacy alliances
• Write briefing papers, media briefs, strategies, articles for publications, speeches, lobbying letters, plans.
• Develop and maintain relationships with a wide array of actors: staff within target institutions, government officials, NGO colleagues (North and South), journalists.
Key Working Relationships
Oxfam International (OI) Advocacy and Campaigns Director
OI Essential Services Campaign Policy Lead
OI Essential Services Media Officer
OI Economic Justice Campaign Policy Lead
Oxfam International Global Economic Crisis Lead
• Knowledge of development finance, and of the international finance institutions, particularly the World Bank and IMF (ways of working, agendas, and how to influence them)
• Track record in policy influencing and knowledge of the IFIs
• Strong conceptual and analytical skills, and ability to think strategically and creatively.
• Excellent communication skills for lobbying and media work, and awareness of political sensitivities.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrable understanding of gender and diversity issues
• Ability to prioritise, plan, organise work in a complex institutional setting.
• Strong inter-personal skills, and ability to work well and flexibly in hard-working teams, while also able to take initiative and work under pressure with limited supervision.
• Experience working with diverse international alliances and coalitions
• Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Fluency in a second language is desirable.
• Commitment to Oxfam values and philosophy
The post holder must have the legal right to be employed in the United States
To apply please send your CV (MS Word format) and covering email to