At any given time, we are responding to over 30 emergency situations. We provide life-saving essentials in the immediate aftermath of a natural disaster and to people affected by conflict, as well as long-term development support. You can help.
Who we are and what we do
Oxfam is a global movement of people, working together to end the injustice of poverty. Together, we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. As a network of interdependent organizations, we save, protect and rebuild lives when disaster strikes. We help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy a life free from poverty.
We are a confederation of 20 Oxfam organizations, with more than 10,000 staff and nearly 50,000 interns and volunteers working around the world.
Oxfam’s mission and work are framed by a commitment to achieving five broad rights-based aims, grounded in Oxfam’s commitment to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the associated Treaties and Covenants. We believe that everyone has:
- A right to a sustainable livelihood
- A right to basic social services
- A right to life and security
- A right to be heard
- A right to an identity
The 20 Oxfam affiliates share a common vision, common philosophies and, to a large extent, common working practices. We are united by our common values and brand identity, and share the same passion and commitment. We have joined forces as an international confederation because we firmly believe that we will achieve greater impact by working together in collaboration with others, and as an interdependent and truly global network of organizations.
Oxfam International is registered as a Foundation in The Hague, Netherlands. Each affiliate is a member of the Foundation and subscribes to its constitution through an affiliation agreement. The Oxfam International Secretariat provides coordination and support to the confederation. All affiliates share a single Strategic Plan resulting in a shared agenda that sets the context within which each organization develops their own unique focuses and specific areas of work.
To ensure the delivery of the Plan, all Oxfam affiliates have committed to improving collaborative ways of working. By 2020 we will work together to:
- Increase global representation: by bringing people together to discuss ideas, strengthening our membership across regions and ensuring a more equal representation and influence from people suffering and fighting poverty and inequality in countries of the global South;
- Strengthen our ability to influence: by building and sharing learning and knowledge within and beyond Oxfam; being rooted in the countries that we work in and committed to working in partnership and to bringing the voice of those we want to serve into the design of our global campaigns and influencing work;
- Simplify and streamline our ways of working: by reducing complexity especially in our management of country programs, but also by strengthening capacity and efficiency through shared confederation systems and approaches.
Oxfam’s Strategic Plan - The Power of People against Poverty - requires that all Oxfam affiliates commit to achieving Change Goals in six ‘external’ and six ‘enabling’ contexts. It is these Goals that provide the framework for our work in all of the countries in which Oxfam operates.