Today (7th November), Kinshasa One Two an album by DRC music released under WARP records will be available to buy online at www.oxfam.org.uk/drcalbum, and from selected Oxfam shops across the UK, with all profits going towards Oxfam’s work in the Congo.
Kinshasa One Two was recorded in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo over 5 days this past July. DRC Music (a collective of producers gathered by Damon Albarn) set out to make an album with contemporary Congolese musicians and worked with more than 50 local performers including Jupiter and the Okwess International, Bokatola System and Nelly Liyemge. DRC Music is comprised of British producers: T-E-E-D (Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs), Dan The Automator, Jneiro Jarel, Richard Russell, Actress, Marc Antoine, Alwest, Remi Kabaka, Rodaidh McDonald and Kwes, with album artwork by Aitor Throup and Hardy Blechman.
The Democratic Republic of Congo has long been wracked by conflict and is home to one of the world's worst humanitarian crises. Proceeds from the album will benefit the local performers and Oxfam's work in Congo.
Oxfam's DRC Country Director, Sylvie Louchez said: “The history of conflict in the DRC has left millions of people struggling daily to access education, clean water, and basic hygiene. Through producing this album DRC Music has highlighted the unique musical talent, vibrancy and creativity of the Congolese people. Our hope is that sales of this album will support the vital work that Oxfam does in the country, and it will also shed light on an inspiring story from a forgotten corner of Africa.”
A spokesperson from WARP records said: “We feel incredibly fortunate to be involved in the journey that culminated in Kinshasa One Two. It's completely, brilliantly, unlike anything WARP has undertaken before, but nonetheless feels like a very natural endeavour for us to be a part of. We're supremely grateful to all the artists, musicians and producers who joined together to create this amazing record and shared a vision of contributing in some small way to benefit the people of the DRC."
Kinshasa One Two is also available to order on the OxfamGB website from November 7th at www.oxfam.org.uk/drcalbum, from fairsharemusic.com, and in selected Oxfam shops across the country.
The full tracklisting is:
1. Hallo featuring Tout Puissant Mukalo and Nelly Liyemge
2. K-Town featuring N’Gotshima and Bebson
3. African Space Anthem (A.S.A) featuring Ewing Sima of Tout Puissant Mukalo
4. Love featuring Love
5. Lingala featuring Bokatola System and Evala Litongo
6. Lourds featuring Yende Bongongo of Okwess International
7. Respect Of The Rules featuring Loi X Liberal
8. We Come From The Forest featuring Bokatola System
9. Customs featuring Bokatola System
10. Virginia featuring Magakala Virginia Yollande and Yowa Hollande
11. Ah Congo featuring Jupiter Bokondji and Bokatola System
12. Three Piece Sweet part 1 &2 featuring Bebson
13. If You Wish to Stay Awake featuring Washiba
14. Departure featuring Bokatola System
Notes to editors
Raakhi Shah, UK Artist Liaison Manager, Oxfam
Tel: +44 (0)1865 47 2243
Mob: +44 (0) 7795 304 351