At any given time, we are responding to over 30 emergency situations. We provide life-saving essentials in the immediate aftermath of a natural disaster and to people affected by conflict, as well as long-term development support. You can help.
Uganda now hosts over 1 million South Sudanese refugees living in the different settlements of Arua, Adjumani, Yumbe and Lamwo districts. The vast majority of refugees – 86 per cent – are women and children who need specific support to keep them safe from rape, beatings, torture, hunger and abandonment. Uganda is also a host country for refugees from DRC, Burundi, and CAR.
One of the settlements is Imvepi Refugee Settlement opened in February 2017 and currently hosting more than 300,000 refugees; with over 800 new arrivals every day. 97% of the water in the settlement is trucked and the remaining 3% is sourced from existing boreholes that have been rehabilitated as more sustainable water solutions are being looked into.
James, an Oxfam Public Health Engineering Officer, explains the situation and the work Oxfam is doing, reaching thousands of South Sudan refugees with vital clean water.