Stichting Oxfam International is a Foundation registered in the Hague, Netherlands, and as a foreign company limited by guarantee in the United Kingdom. There are currently 17 Oxfam affiliates.
- Oxfam America
- Oxfam Australia
- Oxfam Canada
- Oxfam France
- Oxfam Germany
- Oxfam GB
- Oxfam Hong Kong
- Oxfam India
- Oxfam Intermón (Spain)
- Oxfam Ireland
- Oxfam Italy
- Oxfam Japan
- Oxfam Mexico
- Oxfam New Zealand
- Oxfam Novib (Netherlands)
- Oxfam Quebec
Oxfam International has a two-tier governance structure, comprising an Executive Board and a Board of Supervisors.
Board of Supervisors
The members of the Board of Supervisors, apart from the Chair, and also the Treasurer if independent, are the Affiliate Chairs. In March 2015, Juan Alberto Fuentes was appointed to the role of Oxfam International Chair.
The duties of the Board of Supervisors are to:
- Appoint and dismiss the Executive Director of the Foundation and fix his/her remuneration.
- Supervise the work of the Executive Board and the Oxfam International Secretariat and approve their reports, policies and programs.
- Supervise the work of the Board of Supervisors' Committees (Finance and Audit Committee; Governance Committee; Board-ED Committee).
- Approve and adopt the annual financial accounts of the Foundation.
- Approving a document, and any changes thereto, setting out the Foundation’s purposes and beliefs, prepared by the Executive Board.
- Approve the Code of Conduct, and the Rules of Procedure, and any changes thereto, to supplement or implement the Constitution, prepared by the Executive Board.
- Approve the Oxfam Strategic Plan, prepared by the Executive Board, as well as any update thereof.
- Any other supervisory task or duty delegated to the Board of Supervisors pursuant to the Constitution or which is conductive to the foregoing.
- The referral of resolutions or other documents of any nature that have been presented for approval by the Executive Board, and that have not been approved by the Board of Supervisors.
Read our Constitution.
The members of the Executive Board are the Executive Directors of the Oxfam Affiliates.
Duties and responsibilities are to:
- Manage the Foundation and organise the jointly agreed common activities of the Affiliates.
- Prepare, implement and update the Oxfam Strategic Plan through consultations with the Affiliates.
- Maintain and update the risk register of the Foundation and the Affiliates.
- Manage risks the Foundation may incur.
- Prepare an annual accountability report.
- Establish working groups and appoint and dismiss the members thereof.
- Prepare a document, and any changes thereto, setting out the Foundation’s purposes and beliefs.
- Prepare the Code of Conduct, and Rules of Procedure, and any changes thereto, to supplement or implement the Constitution.
- Prepare the Oxfam Strategic Plan as well as any update thereof through consultations with the Affiliates.
- Make proposals to the Board of Supervisors concerning the admittance or expulsion of Affiliates.
- Prepare any other policy and strategy documents and programs, delegate the development of more detailed plans, policies and protocols to working groups, and ensure that a common and coordinated implementation of such documents and programs is accomplished throughout the Affiliates.
- Any other tasks, duties or responsibilities by or pursuant to the Constitution or relating to the foregoing.
The Executive Board regularly updates the Board of Supervisors on its work and informs the Board of Supervisors of any significant matters of which it becomes aware, relevant for the overall well-being of the Foundation and the common interests of the Affiliates.