More than 15,500 asylum seekers are trapped on Greece’s islands in worsening weather conditions. But the Greek government, with the support of other EU leaders, can change this. Tell them they need to end this inhumane containment and move asylum seekers to safety before winter hits Greece on the 21st of December.
Two and a half years of war have plunged Yemen into one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises and put the country at risk of famine. Now it is at the mercy of a deadly and rapidly spreading cholera epidemic that if not contained will threaten the lives of thousands of people in the coming months. Help us stop the spread now.
Every day, hundred of thousands of people are forced to flee to escape war, violence, famine and disasters. Yet many governments have turned their backs, and are not taking anything close to their fair share of responsibility. Find on our interactive map where are the vast majority of refugees worlwide and take action now.
One person in three in the world lives in poverty.
Oxfam is determined to change that world by mobilizing the power of people against poverty.
Rohingya refugees interviewed by Oxfam in Bangladesh say they will not go back to Myanmar until their safety can be guaranteed and they have equal rights, including being able to work and travel freely.
Millions of people facing severe hunger and acute malnutrition in one of the worst hit areas of the Democratic Republic of Congo risk having life-saving aid cut if donors do not plug a hole in the aid budget, Oxfam warned today.
Although income inequality has fallen in recent years, Latin America remains the most unequal region in the world. In 2014 the richest 10% of people in Latin America had amassed 71% of the region’s wealth. If this trend continues, according to Oxfam’s calculations, in just six years’ time the richest 1% in the region will have accumulated more wealth than the remaining 99%.
It took the tug of a shirt. A history revisited.
One of Oxfam’s most experienced water engineers, Zulfiquar Ali Haider, was recently approached by a man in his sixties, who was living in the Rohingya camps in Bangladesh. Extraordinarily the refugee recognized Haider – as the man who helped to save his life by providing emergency water two decades before.