At any given time, we are responding to over 30 emergency situations. We provide life-saving essentials in the immediate aftermath of a natural disaster and to people affected by conflict, as well as long-term development support. You can help.
Social protection policies related to food security in Burkina Faso play a crucial role in improving the well-being of the population.
This report - available in French only - examines the school feeding program in Burkina Faso; including the way it works and some key good practices identified. The government's stable commitment and the gradually planned handover by WFP and CRS are key factors for the continuation of the program.
Other positive aspects include the links to national reserves, the active participation of communities and the appropriate geographic targeting. The specific procedures to promote the enrolment and attendance of girls are also positively assessed.
The report’s recommendations include:
- ensuring a stable budget;
- paying the school cooks;
- promoting local purchase;
- ensuring food availability during the lean season;
- connecting the school feeding program with other health and nutrition-related initiatives;
- improving program monitoring; and
- strengthening the capacity of all actors involved.